Sunday, November 25, 2007

A dip that's better than it looks!

I used to read Bon Appetit magazine all the time, before they went online with www.epicurious.com. They have this great section where you can write in and tell them about a recipe you've encountered at some restaurant, and the magazine will contact the restaurant and see if they'll give it up to you. So I tried the Bon Appetit recipe request on Christmas for a friend who had taken me to this little wine cellar restaurant in Siesta Key, Florida called Gastronamia. She loved the fabulous dip they served as an appetizer, with crusty bread. The folks at the restaurant were lovely, and happy to oblige and I gave the recipe (and the a bowl of the dip) to my friend for Christmas, and it's become a staple at dinners and parties.

I made the dip for my friend Jo's birthday party last night, and Janet kept telling people to try the dip, saying 'it doesn't look like much, but it's really good.' She won over several converts, so I thought I'd post it for them, and for you, gentle reader, who may be looking for a fresh, Italian influenced dish to get your appetite going.

Gastronamia Starter

1 part freshly grated Parmesan ( I add more)
1 part fresh basil, chopped
1 part fresh chopped parsely
2 skinny cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper - dash

3 parts olive oil (I use less)
Aged Balsamic Vinegar - to colour brown

Emulsify the olive oil and vinegar. Add ingredients to emulsification, allow to marinate. Serve with fresh crusty bread.

Bon Appetit!

No comments: